reg Follow Nevada PEP on Facebook Follow Nevada PEP on Twitter Follow Nevada PEP on Instagram Follow Nevada PEP on YouTube


“You Can Do It”, is an interactive guide that’s geared towards older youth with disabilities who want to go to college. It guides youth through the process of entering college.

Click here


“Where Am I Going? How Will I Get There?” This is an interactive self-advocacy guide that engages youth to think about their disability and shows them how to be a strong advocate for themselves.

Click here


Transition Links


Transition Services

Teens outsideWhat is Transition?
Transition is moving from one situation or experience to another. In your case, transition would be the process of moving from a high school student to an adult member of your community. Becoming an adult means that you will have a lot of questions to think about. The first step is to imagine yourself after high school. Where do you see yourself working? Where do you see yourself living? Talk with your family, teachers and friends to help you answer those questions. Once you have a picture in your mind, it is time to plan for your future.

Transition Guide

What type of transition information does Nevada PEP have?

We have information regarding transition to preschool, to elementary school, to junior/middle school, to high school as well as transition into higher education.

Preparing for the Transition to Middle/Senior High School

Your child is entering middle or high school. This is a transition for both you and your child. You can look at it as a joint venture. Get all the information you can. Meet the teachers, principal and vice principal. Visit the school and locate classrooms, lunch room, gym, auditorium, and office. Sometimes teens are reluctant to have family members tag along on a school visit. Approach it as if your child is giving you a guided tour, so he or she is in control. If your child doesn't know the way around, you'll both learn.

Discuss in advance possible situations, involving peers, classroom behavior, or school work, where you would be concerned. Ask your child how he or she would deal with these situations. Tell your child your expectations of him or her given the situation. If possible, pair up with another parent to talk over the changes. The support of others going through a similar situation often helps relieve anxiety.

Transition into Higher Education

Two girls in graduation attire
More and more students with disabilities are applying for and being accepted into colleges and universities across the country. The key to a successful post-secondary education is that students become knowledgeable about their own accommodation needs and their post-secondary education responsibilities, as well as their educational rights.

When a student applies to a college they do not have to identify themselves as a student with a disability. The entrance policy is not discriminatory

After exiting high school students become their own advocate under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Section 504 regulations apply to all colleges and universities that receive Federal funding. The law states that it is the college's or university's obligation to provide accommodations to qualified students with disabilities in a timely manner to ensure effective participation by students with disabilities.

The student is obligated to advise the college or university of the need for accommodations and supports. The student may be asked to provide diagnostic tests and/or professional documentation for accommodations to support their request.

Public Colleges and Universities will have a Disability Center or Support Center to process and assist with requests for accommodations. Colleges or universities provide needed accommodations and support on a case by case basis. The student is not required to pay for the cost of the accommodations College bound students have the right to receive the same services offered to their nondisabled peers.

A sample of accommodations under Section 504 that students may require are


  • Audio Tapes of Texts
  • Note takers
  • Interpreters
  • Readers
  • Student Tutors
  • Text enlargers
  • Modified Calculators
  • Braille
  • Computer Adaptations

While in high school get ready for college by taking academic courses that provide college credit, meeting with high school counselor, identifying successful accommodations; developing self-advocacy and study skills and learning about the college disability.

What Parents Need to Know About Puberty and Sexuality.

This 38-minute video from the Utah Parent Center addresses one of the more sensitive issues in the journey to adulthood. It's also available in Spanish.

Adapted from Newsline, Exceptional Children's Assistance Center, Davidson, NC