Last Updated on Wednesday, 01 October 2014 16:15
- More than 160,000 U.S. students stay home from school each day from fear of being bullied
- 8% of students miss 1 day of class per month for fear of Bullies
- Playground statistics - Every 7 minutes a child is bullied
- 77% of students are bullied mentally, verbally, & physically
- Bullying is the most common form of violence. Between 15% and 30% of students are bullies or victims
- Direct, physical bullying increases in elementary school, peaks in middle school, and declines in high school, verbal abuse, on the other hand, remains constant
- 43% fear harassment in the bathroom at school
- 64% of children who were bullied did not report it; only 36% reported the bullying (Petrosina, Guckenburg, DeVoe, and Hanson, 2010).
- 22% of Student know someone who has been bullied online
- The reasons for being bullied reported most often by students were looks (55%), body shape (37%), and race (16%) (Davis and Nixon, 2010).
- Over 14% of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7% have attempted it
- About 35% of kids have been threatened online
- Students who are both bullied and engage in bullying behavior are the highest risk group for adverse outcomes (Espelage and Holt, 2013).
- A poll of teens ages 12-17 proved that they think violence increased at their schools
Information provided from the following: